By Geoffrey Riddle
Douvan’s possible participation in the 32Red King George VI Chase at Kempton next month remains contingent on how Rich Ricci’s other horses fare over the next few weeks.
Ricci revealed on Sunday that the Willie Mullins camp were never happy with the seven-year-old last season, despite three wins in the campaign.
The sole defeat came in the Champion Chase at Cheltenham in March when Douvan was sent off the 2-9 favourite, only to trail in a lacklsutre seventh behind Special Tiara.
Ricci all but ruled out Douvan running against Altior in the Tingle Creek at Sandown next month, but Douvan is entered at Kempton and is a best-priced 10-1 with Betfair and Paddy Power for the Christmas showpiece and is as short as 5-1 with William Hill. After his success at Sandown on Sunday, Might Bite remains the 7-2 favourite.
"He wasn't quite himself all last year," Ricci told Racing UK’s Luck On Sunday programme.
Douvan has won 14 of his 16 races (PA)
"No-one was totally happy with him the whole time despite some pretty good performances. He wasn't showing that bolshy, bullying type on the gallop or in his races and obviously it came to light at Cheltenham he just wasn't right.
"He seems to be back in his pomp, so it would be great to have him back.
"I'm sure we'll talk about what we're going to do with him because there are a lot of options.
"He's entered in the King George. He could stay at two miles, he could step up in trip. It depends what happens with Min, who has summered particularly well.
"American Tom came back yesterday (third at Naas) and ran very well and will come on for that run
"We will have to see how it sorts out. We normally have a debate at Willie's this time of year about what we do with the horses and what the plan might be. We haven't done it yet.
"I don't know about the King George – Douvan or Djakadam.
"We know Douvan is very good at two miles. I thought he might step up. I guess we will have to see how the pieces fall together with some of our own string and others as well.
"Douvan won't be starting off in the Tingle Creek and I imagine Djakadam will start off in the John Durkan again and take it from there."
Ever since Altior became the heir apparent to Sprinter Sacre’s crown over two miles last season the clash between the two horses has been keenly anticipated.
_Altior is the 11-8 favourite for the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase _(PA)
In February Nicky Henderson, Altior’s trainer, called the possible meeting between the two as a ‘Rumble In The Jungle, reminiscent of the heavyweight boxing match between Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier.
Altior is due to re-emerge this season in the Tingle Creek next month, and then all roads lead to the Queen Mother Champion Chase, for which the Arkle winner is the 11-8 favourite ahead of 7-2 Douvan.
When asked how he would fancy his chances at Cheltenham, Henderson said on Sunday: “You couldn’t be confident. I think there will be split divisions all the way down. There will be an Altior team and a Douvan team.
“You expect Douvan would make it. It will come down to him setting a good gallop. You’re already talking about tactics about a race in March, but if Ruby is dictating a race from the front he is a very hard man to beat. We will have to be very cool.”