It seems that whenever Limato is declared the heavens open and they have to decide whether to run their talented fast-ground performer, or not.
That dilemma presents itself again with forecast rain at the Berkshire track, though connections would love to let him take his chance, having decided not to go for the Prix de la Foret at ParisLongchamp on Sunday, which he won in 2016.
“The main and very serious proviso is the weather forecast. Rain is due to come in tomorrow,” said Jacobs. “What will happen, as has on a number of occasions, is Henry and I will get there and walk the course and decide what we do.
“We’ve had six decisions so far to make. Three have turned out right and three haven’t. You could say tomorrow is the decider.
“We hope to run because he wasn’t right when he ran there there last time but it is a course he has run well at before.
“If he did run and came out of it OK we’ve still got him in the Champions Sprint a fortnight later, but the weather then is even more uncertain.
“He’s also in the Challenge Stakes which he won last year. If we have to swerve tomorrow because of the rain then that would be the next option. It’s only next Friday and at this time of year we have to go where we get the ground.
“His last two runs at Newmarket and York we’ve got away with it.
“He did the business in those two because firstly they were Listed races not Group races and secondly his class and guts got him through.
“Neither was his ground and sadly tomorrow it looks it isn’t going to be either. He’ll go and we’ll go but whether he runs is literally in the lap of the weather gods.”
Should he take his chance, Limato would face Projection and Gifted Master, who he had back in third and fifth places respectably in the Hopeful Stakes at Newmarket in August.
Marco Botti saddles Raven’s Lady, who was a Group Two winner in Germany on her latest start, having struck at this level at York in July.
Select any odd to add a bet